Saturday 18 April 2015

Who will notice?

Sorry, no pics in this post. But read on if you're interested anyway :)

I think the common obstacles most people face pre-surgery are:
  1. No money
  2. No time
  3. Fear of what others will think (which may result in not being able to return to work or school)
  4. A combination/All of the above
I have experience with some of the above and I have managed to avoid some of the above too. Let me elaborate.

I was determined to have the surgery done when I was 20 years old. I took up a job during my holidays and managed to save up enough for a cheap procedure in Thailand. Unfortunately, I did not have the time. I had 1 big window open before university began for me but that window also happened to be a huge festive season (Dec-Jan) where the plastic surgeon I wanted was away.

Finally, I graduated and started working so it was also time to build my career. I had the income but I didn't have the time. To rest well for the surgery, I needed about 2 weeks to a month to look presentable again. I am the wallflower-type and I hate when the spotlight is on me so I didn't want to deal with 'Hey! What happened to your eyes?' in the office. My next plan was to have enough saved when I was ready to quit my job so that I can get the surgery done before I start my next job.

But during the 3 years that I was working, I was so happy making money that I was also happy spending on other stuff too :p
I will be honest and say that it took me a really long time to save enough (for the surgery and emergency expenses). And days have gone by where I really question myself, why did I wait till I was 25? Why was I not diligent enough in saving money?

So if you are in the same position as my 20 year old self, please, please, save up!!! And get it done quickly! (Unless your parents are paying then good for you!)

Okay, back to my title. Who will notice?

Since my swelling has gone down considerably and I no longer feel like a fish-eyed freak, I decided to bravely attend a family+relatives gathering without hiding behind my spectacles.

Since my surgery, the only people who have seen me are my immediate family members and my boyfriend. 

I was very anxious to see who will notice but at the same time hoped that no one would (wow, who was I trying to kid...)

At the gathering of about 10 adults (the rest were babies, toddlers, kids, so they don't count!), 2 of my aunts noticed. The first one mentioned it RIGHT AWAY when she greeted me. The second one only mentioned it about half an hour later despite talking to me face-to-face plenty of times.

I was also amused that they knew it was plastic surgery right away. They didn't think I was using glue or tape or just had swollen eyes that day. It must've been pretty drastic huh?

I also felt a bit disappointed that none of them mentioned it was pretty. But then again, I don't think family are supposed to say 'Hey, you finally changed your eyes. Now you look SO much better'.

I guess I would feel better if they said 'The doctor did a really good job.'

But well, all I got was a 'TSK, you are SO VAIN'.

So, I guess it's safe to say, if your eyes were/are anything like mine... people will notice.

:( 

No comments:

Post a Comment